Monday, November 1, 2010

At least I still get candy...

So, in case you didn't know last night was Halloween. It's a lot different for me now since having children of my own. I used to love everything associated with Halloween. The crappy horror movies, haunted houses, going to parties and drinking out of plastic skull heads. Everything. When I worked for Center Stage our dress code was a costume. I'd pride myself on my ability to create the nastiest, bloodiest make up jobs and receive high praises from adolescent boys. I loved it all.

This has now become my secret love. I have to make sure that when we visit a pumpkin farm that it isn't too scary. God forbid a costumed employee walk too close. I'd never hear the end of it. I minimize windows on the computer when she walks by because I am reading about the top ten most terrifying places in America. I've endured Dora the Explorer's Halloween Special. Honestly, anything Dora says is more frightening than whatever is on that list. But, my daughter enjoys it.

And that is where I stop the ranting. Watching her get so excited to dress up and go trick or treating is better than any party I've been to. It's gotten to the point where I remember what it was like to be her age. I remember the thrill and being scared of other people's costumes. I have fond memories of trick or treating with my mother trying to keep up while I sprinted from house to house. I know I'll get my horror movies back someday but for now, I love my kid friendly Halloween.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have some Urban Legends to read up on before I pick her up from school.

No comments: